I have had a true love for tacos since I was a little girl. My mom used to make a giant batch of fried tacos with all the toppings and it was pure Heaven. My diet has changed since then because of sensitivity to gluten & dairy, but I made these baked tacos the other day and I went right back to those childhood memories. They are crispy, flavorful and completely Paleo. No lie, I plan on making them every week from here on out 🙂
Okay, let’s talk tortillas. I grew up in Arizona and we could buy the BEST homemade flour tortillas. Nothing has been able to come close to those (especially ones that are gluten free). These almond flour Siete tortillas are the only ones that I have truly loved since then (PS, not sponsored). They have such great flavor and a beautiful texture. I am lucky enough to have found them in my local Walmart (freezer section), but you can also find them in a lot of health food stores. Or order on Amazon or their website.
There are other gluten free tortillas out there, but most aren’t grain free (Paleo). And they just don’t taste like a flour tortilla.
The salsa verde chicken filling is insanely easy to make but loaded with flavor. You can make it in the Instant Pot or slow cooker. I use chicken thighs for this recipe because it is my personal favorite, but you could also use chicken breasts if you prefer. All I do is add a jar of salsa verde (I love Herdez), chopped onion and garlic. So easy!
Once the filling is done, I let it cool slightly and place about 1/4 cup onto one half of each tortilla. I carefully fold the tortilla over and spray with avocado oil. I do this on a lined baking sheet so I don’t have to move them once they are filled. The tortillas can crack if you move them too much. After this step is done for each taco, I bake them in the oven just to crisp the outside of the taco shell.
I serve these tacos with all of my favorite fillings:
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Fresh limes
- Sliced radishes
- Salsa & Hot Sauce
Used in this Recipe:
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Baked Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
- 4 Chicken Thighs or 2 chicken breasts
- 1 jar Salsa Verde I use Herdez 15.7 oz jar
- 1 White Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 8 Grain Free Tortillas Siete Almond Flour
- Oil Spray
- Place the chicken thighs (or breasts), salsa verde, onion and garlic into the Instant Pot. Close the lid, seal the steam valve and set to high pressure for 15 minutes. When timer goes off, slow release for 10 minutes and then quick release.Shred the chicken in the sauce and set aside to cool
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker, cover with the salsa verde, chopped onion and garlic. Cover and cook for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high.When done, shred the chicken in the sauce and set aside to cool
- Preheat oven to 375'Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tortillas on topWhen the salsa verde chicken filling is slightly cooled, place about 1/4 cup of the mixture onto one half of the tortilla and carefully fold in halfOnce they are all done, spray with avocado oil and bake for 10 minutes, switch to broil at the end for 1 minute to get a little more color and crispness