Béarnaise is my favorite sauce to order on my steak when we go to a restaurant. It is so creamy and decadent, but still has such a delicate and lovely flavor. The base (or mother sauce) of Béarnaise is Hollandaise, but is has some additions like tarragon, shallot and peppercorns. Once you make this sauce, you will want to pour it on absolutely everything.
The first step in the process is to make a vinegar reduction. It sounds fancy but it is very simple. Traditional Béarnaise sauce calls for white wine vinegar and white wine but I wanted to keep this Whole30 + Keto. So I use just white wine vinegar with fresh tarragon, sliced shallots and whole black peppercorns. This mixture gets simmered until it reduces to only a few tablespoons of liquid, then it gets strained.
That beautiful and flavorful reduction gets added to a blender along with the egg yolks. The mixture and egg yolks get blended on low while melted ghee gets slowly poured in. You will get a lovely creamy sauce. All you have to do is stir in some chopped tarragon, salt and pepper! I enjoy mine over a perfectly cooked steak and roasted asparagus.
If your sauce does not get creamy enough for your liking, you can still save it! All you have to do is gently boil water in a small saucepan and place a bowl over the top. Pour the sauce into the bowl and whisk vigorously, the gentle heat will help thicken up the sauce perfectly. It will only take 30 seconds to a minute.
Used in this Recipe:
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Whole30 Bearnaise Sauce
- 3/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Shallot small
- 1 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Fresh Tarragon
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Ghee
- Salt + Pepper
- Add the white wine vinegar, chopped shallot, peppercorns and 2 Tbls (or two sprigs) of the tarragon into a small saucepanGently boil until liquid has reduced down to 2 Tbls. Let cool and then strain through a mesh strainer
- Melt ghee in a small saucepan and let cool slightly (should be warm)
- Add the reduced liquid to the blender along with the 3 egg yolks, pulse to combine and turn blender on lowSlowly drizzle in all the melted ghee until sauce gets thick and creamy. Turn blender off and stir in remaining chopped tarragon. Season with salt and pepper to tasteServe over protein or veggie of choice!