This is one of those recipes that is so simple that you are almost surprised when it tastes so good. I mean it was so good that I ate it with a spoon and did a happy dance in my kitchen. I love that simple ingredients can create something so flavorful and beautiful. Food doesn’t have to be complicated to be healthy and taste delicious.
I have made pesto with parmesan and pine nuts before (which is delicious) but my daughter can’t eat it so I wanted to make one that she could enjoy. I had no clue how much I would love it too! The walnuts add such a lovely flavor, especially after being lightly toasted. I always toast my nuts (hehe) in a dry sauté pan. The nuts will release their natural oils when heated, so you don’t need any extra oil.
You will need a food processor or high powered blender for this. There are lots of affordable options for food processors out there. I love my 8 cup Cuisinart that I ordered online (it’s available in Walmart and Amazon). It’s not fancy but works perfectly.
different ways to enjoy pesto:
- With a spoon (seriously, it’s so good)
- Tossed with pasta or zoodles
- Mixed with mayo for a delicious pesto aioli
- On top of chicken
- Used as a dressing
Used in this recipe:
More Recipes You Will Love:
Spinach, Arugula & Walnut Pesto
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 cup Arugula
- 1/2 cup Walnuts raw
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup Avocado Oil or Olive Oil
- Add the walnuts to a dry saute pan and bring heat to a medium/low. Watch them and move them around in the pan for a few minutes until just lightly toasted.
- Add the nuts to the food processor. Then zest the lemon and add the zest along with the juice into the processor. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Pulse to combine and then switch to high speed, stopping to scrape the sides down with a rubber spatula. Continue until full combined and a sauce is formed. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Use right away or store in a glass container in the fridge. I add a little extra oil on top to keep it fresh for longer and then stir before I use it. Can last up to 5 days in the fridge
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.