I really don’t think that there are many things that can beat a warm, comforting bowl of creamy soup. But it can be difficult to make a decadent soup without any dairy. This chicken pot pie soup is both gluten and dairy free but is rich, smooth and perfectly creamy. This family friendly soup is made in the Instant Pot so it takes no time at all, with minimal cleanup. That is always a bonus for me!
This soup has all the flavors of chicken pot pie and it is so comforting. I used green beans instead of peas to keep this Whole30 compliant, and it is delicious but feel free to use peas if you prefer.
I use my favorite trick to make this soup creamy without any cream. After the soup is cooked in the Instant Pot, I take out a few of the cooked potatoes and put it in a large measuring glass. I then use my immersion blender with some coconut milk to puree the potatoes. The mixture gets stirred back into the soup for a perfect velvety texture.
The combination of fresh and dried herbs is what makes this soup taste like the chicken pot pie we know and love. The thyme and sage bring such lovely flavor to the soup. It almost reminds me of Thanksgiving in a bowl. I could eat this over and over again.
used in this recipe:
you might also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast cubed (can also use cubed thighs)
- 2 lbs Red Potatoes cubed
- 3 Carrots peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 Celery Stalks diced
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Coconut Milk or plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Green Beans chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 Tbls Fresh Sage chopped
- 2 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil, ghee
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute mode and add in 1 Tbls of the oil. Once the oil is hot, cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes and remove from the pot (set aside)
- Add in the remaing Tbls of oil and keep on saute mode, add in the carrots, celery, and onion. Saute for 2 minutes and turn off the saute mode. Stir in the chicken, potatoes, green beans, garlic, salt, pepper, fresh and dried sage.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir. Place the thyme sprigs on top and close the lid. Seal the steam valve and set to pressure or manual (high pressure) on the Instant Pot. Set time to 7 minutes
- Once the timer goes off, do a quick release and remove the lid. Take out the thyme sprigs and throw away. Using a slotted spoon, remove about 1/2 - 1 cup of the cooked potatoes and place in a large glass container
- Pour the coconut milk in the container with the potaotes and use an immersion blender to puree the potatoes** Stir the mixture back into the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed