This Italian White Bean Soup is a delicious gluten & dairy free take on one of my family’s favorite soups. It is so simple to make, but has so many layers of flavor. The beans are so rich and buttery and the sausage adds some spice. It is a perfect dish for a chilly night!
*Originally Posted 09/2019; post updated 09/2020
What You Need:
- Spicy (or mild) Italian Sausage
- Chicken Broth
- White Beans (cannellini)
- Fresh Spinach
- Bay Leaves
- Coconut Milk (for dairy free); if not dairy free – you can use heavy cream
- Salt & Pepper Flakes
Let’s Make Soup:
- I use a dutch oven for this recipe – you can use any soup pot. The oil gets added to the pot over medium heat. Then we add the sausage until mostly cooked through.
- Then we add in the aromatics (carrots, onion, celery & garlic) these get cooked with the sausage for about 3 minutes. This helps them start to develop flavor and soften a bit.
- The remaining ingredients (except coconut milk and spinach) get added in. We bring this to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Then discard bay leaves & rosemary sprig.
- The last step is to stir in the coconut milk (or cream if using) and the fresh spinach. The spinach will wilt perfectly into the hot soup. Remove from heat and serve!
How To Make This Whole30:
Many people have asked me how to make this Italian White Bean Soup Whole30 compliant and it’s actually very easy! The first thing to note is that you need compliant Italian Sausage. I like to get mine from Pederson’s Farms. You can get it online or I often find it at Sprouts!
The next thing to replace is the beans. Beans are not Whole30 compliant, but potatoes are! You can simply sub out the beans for two russet potatoes peeled & diced. They will cook while the soup is simmering.
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Italian White Bean Soup
- 1 Tbls Olive Oil
- 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage ground
- 1 Yellow Onion small, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Carrots peeled & diced
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Cans of White Beans (drained) 14.5 oz, cannellini
- 2 cups Spinach fresh
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Full Fat Coconut Milk
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook the ground Italian sausage until mostly cooked through
- Then add in the onion, carrots, garlic and celery. Cook for 3 minutes until the onions are translucent and the carrots are slightly tender
- Add in the chicken broth, salt, pepper flakes, beans, rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 minutes
- Discard rosemary and bay leaves. Stir in the coconut milk and spinach. Remove from heat and serve.