This Sausage, Kale & Potato Soup is made with only a few ingredients, but has so much flavor! It is so creamy and comforting but has absolutely no dairy in it. With both Instant Pot and Stove Top instructions, you can’t go wrong. This is one the whole family will enjoy!
*Originally posted 08/2019; updated 01/2021
What You Need:
- Avocado Oil
- Red Potatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Coconut Milk
- Pepper Flakes
Let’s Make Soup:
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat and add in the sausage and onion. Cook until sausage gets some color and the onions are slightly translucent (about 4-5 minutes)
- Add in the garlic, potatoes, kale, salt, pepper flakes and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 minutes, the potatoes should be just tender
- Stir in the coconut milk and let simmer another 5 minutes
- Taste for seasoning and enjoy!
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté mode and add in the oil. Once hot, sauté the sausage and onion. Cook until sausage gets some color and the onions are slightly translucent (about 4-5 minutes)
- Add in the garlic, potatoes, kale, salt, pepper flakes and broth. Put the lid on and set steam valve to seal. Set time to 10 minutes (7 minutes for more bite to your potatoes)
- When timer goes off, do a quick release of the steam. Stir in the coconut milk and taste for seasoning. Then enjoy!
Can I use spinach instead of kale?
A: You absolutely can! But it is not as sturdy of a green as kale, so I would stir it in at the end instead
Any substitutes for coconut milk?
A: Yes, you can use plain unsweetened almond milk or original flavor NutPods to keep it Whole30 compliant and dairy free. If you are not dairy free, you can use regular cream but stir the cream in at the end
Can this be made low carb?
A: Yep! just replace the potatoes for cauliflower florets and you will have a delicious low carb soup 🙂
Is it spicy?
A: It depends on your spice tolerance. I do not think it is and my 8 year old loves it, but if you are sensitive to spice, you can just use regular black pepper
Can I thicken the soup?
A: If you want a thicker texture, you can remove some of the cooked potatoes after the soup is done. Use an immersion blender to puree them and add back to the soup. Or you can add a slurry of 1-2 Tbls tapioca starch with a little room temp water and add to the soup. Let it simmer on the stove top or on saute mode in the Instant Pot until it thickens a bit.
You Might Also Like:
- Italian White Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Creamy Potato & Ham Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Zoodle Soup
- Whole30 Potato Leek Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Healthy Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
- Turn Instant Pot to 'saute' mode and add in the oilAdd in the sliced sausage and onion and saute for 3 minutes and then hit 'cancel' button
- Put the garlic, potatoes, kale, salt, pepper flakes and broth into the Instant Pot, seal the lid and close the steam valveTurn to 'pressure' mode on high pressure and set time to 10 minutes (do 7 minutes if you want a little more 'bite' to your potatoes)
- When timer goes off, do a quick release of the steam. Stir in the coconut milkAdd a little more salt and pepper if needed (to taste) and enjoy!
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add in the sausage and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes)
- Stir in the coconut milk. Taste soup and add salt and pepper if needed, then serve and enjoy!