If you have been reading this blog for a while, you know that my husband grew up in Poland. So potatoes and kielbasa are staples in our home and he LOVED this soup. We all love soup in our family and this one is a favorite. It is so simple and takes no time at all. I have made it on the stove top and in the Instant Pot, so I included both methods in the instructions.
This soup only calls for a handful of ingredients, so I like to use the best quality products. My favorite kielbasa to use is Pederson’s Farms no sugar added version. It is delicious and Whole30 compliant. For the broth, I love to use Bonafide Provisions bone broth for an extra boost of collagen and the amazing flavor. Any good chicken broth will work in this recipe though. You can also add extra veggies if you like, I have added carrots before and the fam loved that too.
Can I use spinach instead of kale?
A: You absolutely can! But it is not as sturdy of a green as kale, so I would stir it in at the end instead
Any substitutes for coconut milk?
Can I make this low carb?
A: Yep! just replace the potatoes for cauliflower florets and you will have a delicious low carb soup 🙂
Do the pepper flakes make it spicy?
A: It depends on your spice tolerance. I do not think it does and my 8 year old loves it, but if you are sensitive to spice, you can just use regular black pepper
Can I thicken the soup?
A: If you want a thicker texture, you can remove some of the cooked potatoes after the soup is done. Use an immersion blender to puree them and add back to the soup. Or you can add a slurry of 1-2 Tbls tapioca starch with a little room temp water and add to the soup. Let it simmer on the stove top or on saute mode in the Instant Pot until it thickens a bit.
used in this recipe:
More Recipes You Will Love:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil/ghee
- 12 oz Kielbasa Sausage Pederson's Farms
- 1 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 lbs Red Potatoes cubed
- 2 cups Kale chopped
- 14.5 oz Can of Coconut Milk Full Fat
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Turn Instant Pot to 'saute' mode and add in the oil. Add in the sausage and onion and saute for 3 minutes and then hit 'cancel' button
- Put the rest of the ingredients into the Instant Pot, seal the lid and close the steam valve. Turn to 'pressure' mode and set time to 10 minutes. Do 7 minutes if you want a little more 'bite' to your potatoes
- When timer goes off, do a quick release of the steam. Add a little more salt and pepper if needed (to taste) and enjoy!
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add in the sausage and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes)
- Taste soup and add salt and pepper if needed, then serve and enjoy!