This Creamy Potato & Ham Soup is so rich and comforting. It is perfect for a chilly fall day when you need something warm and soothing. This soup is Whole30 and dairy free, but tastes so rich and delicious. The whole family will love this potato and ham soup!
*Recipe originally published 4/2018 and updated 11/2019 & 09/20
What You Need:
- Russet Potatoes
- Chicken Broth - to make this soup extra delish and nutritious, I use my Bone Broth
- Ham & Ham Bone- can also use bacon if you can't find any Whole30 compliant ham
- Chicken Broth
- Bay Leaves
- Salt & Pepper
Making Potato & Ham Soup:
- The first step in this recipe is to cook the aromatics (veggies) that give this soup so much flavor. The carrots, onion and celery get cooked in some ghee or oil. Once they are slightly tender, I add in the garlic, potatoes and ham. This cooks for a few minutes before adding in the broth. (If you are using bacon instead, see recipe card notes)
- Once the broth is added in, I also add in the ham bone and seasonings. We then bring the soup to a boil and reduce it down to a simmer. It simmers for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are nice and tender.
- Turn off the heat and then remove about half of the cooked potatoes from the pot and place into a large measuring glass with some of the broth from the soup. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture (can also use blender or food processor). This creamy mixture gets stirred back into the soup.
- Remove the bone and bay leaves, then taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed. Salt level will depend on type of ham used and broth.
I store my soup in an airtight container in the fridge and just re-heat it on the stovetop when we are ready to eat! It will last up to a week in the fridge. You can also freeze it in a container (leaving room at the top) and then let thaw in the fridge when ready to use. You will heat it on the stovetop after it has thawed. I love to use these 32oz deli storage containers to store my soup in the freezer.
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Creamy Potato and Ham Soup
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium/low heat
- Add in the carrot, onion, and the celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally Then add in the potatoes, garlic and ham. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrent
- Pour in the broth, seasonings, ham bone and bay leaves and stirBring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are nice and tender
- Remove about half of the cooked potatoes from the pot and place in a large container with 1 cup of the broth from the pot and blend with an immersion blender (can also use stand up blender or food processor)
- Remove the ham bone and bay leaves from the pot and discard Stir the potato puree back into the soup and taste for seasoning, then enjoy!