This is one of my favorite soups to make when we aren’t feeling well. It is so smooth and creamy but also loaded with healing foods. The flavor is a perfect combination of sweet and savory. The carrots and squash are beautifully sweet and the ginger, garlic and curry powder spice it up a bit. This soup is so delicious and comforting!
*Originally published 12/17/18; updated 10/10/19.
The Instant Pot makes the so easy. It really is as simple as throwing everything in the pot and hitting the start button! I even blend it up right in the pot using my immersion blender. It is all done in less than 30 minutes, I call that a win any day. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also do it in a standing blender or even a food processor. You just might need to do it in batches.
I love to use fresh butternut squash when it is in season, but you can also use frozen butternut squash. Sometimes I buy frozen just for the convenience. Butternut squash can be a pain to peel and cut. The key to making it easier is to have a super sharp knife. I don’t actually use a peeler, I slice the peel off with my knife, scoop the seeds out with a spoon and then cube it up.
I like to serve this soup with a swirl of coconut milk and a squeeze of fresh lime. It really brings the flavor to the next level. This is kind of a combination of both Indian and Thai curry. It has the coconut and lime, but also the garam masala. It might sound strange, but trust me on this, the flavor is incredible! If you choose to leave out the garam masala, be sure to add more curry.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Instant Pot Curried Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled & cubed
- 3 Carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbls Fresh Ginger minced or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth or broth of choice
- 1 Tbls Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 can Coconut Milk full fat
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne optional
- 1 Lime optional
- Add all of the ingredients except the lime into the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the steam valve is sealed and hit the manual pressure cook button. Set time for 15 minutes
- Once timer goes off, release the steam and use immersion blender to puree the soup in the pot (or blend in batches in a blender) add more broth or coconut milk as needed to puree the soup to desired consistency
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste