This rich and flavorful butter chicken is made in the Instant Pot for a quick meal that tastes like its been cooking all day. You will love the tender chicken and creamy sauce over cauliflower rice for a delicious Whole30 and Low Carb meal!
*Originally posted April 2019
This dish is super easy to put together, which is why I love it for a quick weeknight meal. It is so flavorful and the whole family loves it. It is not spicy so my kids can enjoy it without any issues.
Let’s Make Butter Chicken!
I gather all my spices first when I am making this recipe. I just measure them out and put them in a little bowl so I can dump them in the Instant Pot.
Then I use super sharp kitchen shears to cut my chicken thighs into cubes. This is the easiest way to do it, but you can also use a sharp knife. After that, everything gets tossed into the IP to cook! It is super simple but is truly loaded with so much flavor!
Once the chicken is done cooking in the IP, you can leave it as is or thicken up the sauce a little bit. I prefer to thicken the sauce. I do this by adding a little tapioca starch slurry into the Instant Pot with the chicken and turn it to sauté mode. This will bring it to a slight boil and the sauce will thicken quickly.
How to Serve This Dish:
To keep this butter chicken Whole30, I serve it over cauliflower rice to soak up that beautiful, rich sauce. When we are not doing a round, we love to eat this with my Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice. You can also buy some decent naan from the grocery store these days which is extra yummy alongside this dish.
You Might Also Like:
- Whole30 Instant Pot Creole Shrimp & Sausage
- Instant Pot Chicken Zoodle Soup
- Instant Pot Steak Fajita Bowls
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Instant Pot Pad Thai
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Photography by Loren Runion of SweetRusticBakes.com
Whole30 Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbls Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 Tbls Chili Powder
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper optional
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs boneless; skinless cubed
- 1 can Coconut Milk full fat
- 14.5 oz. Can of Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbls Ghee
- 2 Tbls Lemon Juice
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbls Fresh Ginger grated
- 1 Tbls Tapioca Starch optional to thicken**
- 2 Tbls Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowlUse kitchen shears to cut chicken into cubes Place all the ingredients (except the cilantro and tapioca starch) in the Instant Pot and use manual modeHit 'Pressure Cook' button (high pressure) and set the time to 15 minutes. Seal the lid and close the steam valve
- Once the timer goes off, carefully release the steam and remove the lid. Remove the cinnamon stick and discard
- To thicken the mixture, combine 1 Tbls of Tapioca starch with 1 Tbls water and whisk. Pour that into the Instant Pot with the cooked chicken and turn to saute mode. This will bring the mixture to a slight boil and will thicken the sauce Once thickened, turn IP off and serve with cauliflower rice. Top with fresh cilantro