Instant Pot Healthy Jambalaya
This Instant Pot Healthy Jambalaya, tastes like it was simmering on the stove top all day but is made in 30 minutes! It is true comfort food made healthy. This dish is Paleo, Keto, Whole30 and absolutely delicious.
*Originally posted 10/2019 updated 03/2022
What is Jambalaya?
Authentic Creole Jambalaya is rooted in the rich culture of New Orleans. It traditionally has the ‘holy trinity’, sausage, shrimp, chicken and rice. This is my simplified and ‘healthier’ take on this recipe. I did not use chicken to keep it easier, but feel free to make this recipe your own. I also use cauliflower rice to make this Whole30 and low carb.
The Instant Pot does most of the work for you in this healthy jambalaya recipe. Using both the sauté function and pressure cook function you get an insanely flavorful meal in no time at all. We eat this meal on a regular basis in our home, it is so good!
How to Get the Best Flavor:
- The base of the recipe is the holy trinity (according to creole cooking) of onions, celery and bell pepper – you get so much flavor when you sauté these veggies.
- Then you have the creole seasoning, garlic and jalapeño for an added kick!
- I love to change it up with which sausage I use. I love both Andouille and smoked sausage. Both taste amazing in this recipe.
- Using fire roasted tomatoes and some hot sauce really takes it over the top
You Might Also Like:
- Whole Creole Shrimp and ‘Cheesy Grits’
- Whole30 Creole Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- Low Carb Shrimp & Sausage Skillet
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
*photography by Loren Runion of sweetrusticbakes.com
Instant Pot Healthy Jambalaya
- 1 Tbls Ghee
- 1.5 lbs Raw Shrimp Peeled & Deveined; Tail On
- 14 oz Kielbasa or andouille* sliced
- 1 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 Green Bell Peppers diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Jalapeno seeded & diced
- 2 Tbls Creole Seasoning divided
- 14.5 oz Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Cauliflower Rice frozen
- 1 Tbls Parsley
- 2 dashes Hot Sauce Franks Red Hot (optional)
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add in the gheeOnce it is melted add in the shrimp and 1 Tbls of the creole seasoning. Cook for 3-5 minutes until just turns pink and remove from the pot, set aside for later
- Then add in 1 Tbls of avocado oil and add in the bell peppers, onions, celery, garlic, remaining creole seasoning and jalaepenoLet cook for 2 minutes and add in the sliced kielbasa, fire roasted tomatoes, and brothPut on the lid, seal the steam valve and set on high pressure for 5 minutes
- Once the timer goes off, do a quick release of the steam and remove the lidStir in the cooked shrimp and frozen cauliflower riceTop with fresh herbs and add in some hot sauce if desired
Absolutely LOVED this meal! It will be made again…and again!
It’s most definitely husband approved!
Wow! So good!!
So glad you enjoyed it!
Hi. Made the dish last night. Followed your recipe to the “t” with one minor cooking change. I dumped the frozen cauliflower rice in the instant pot once I sauteed the non-shrimp ingredients and then added the fire roasted tomatoes. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Perfect portions. Full of flavor. Looking forward to flipping through your other recipes.
Yay, so glad you enjoyed it!
Teton Waters Ranch has compliant andouille!
Awesome, good to know!
Fantastic dish! I will be making this dish regularly now it was phenomenal! Thank Yoy
Hi Chrissy, I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it, thank you for sharing
Can I omit the parsley or use dry parsley if I don’t have fresh?
Yes, you can leave it out or add some of the dried parsley in while it cooks
Do you have a preferred brand of creole seasoning? I have never used it before and looks like different brands have different ingredient lists
I like the Tony Chachere’s brand the best
Does the cauliflower rice need to be cooked before adding or do you add it frozen?
It gets added in frozen 🙂
Loved it and so easy!
Our first InstaPot recipe and it was AMAZING! Great flavor with a little heat.. perfect!
So glad to hear this, I am glad you enjoyed it!
What is a serving???
It is 1/6th of the total amount, the recipe makes 6 servings.
We’ve made this twice so far! Love it!
I am so glad you love it!
Being from New Orleans, I was definitely attracted to this recipe! And girl, you did good!! So tasty!!!! I can’t wait to try some more of you recipes!!!
Woo hoo! SO glad you loved it.
Making this tomorrow and I’m so excited! I was looking over the directions to prep stuff ahead of time and noticed you have a jalapeño in the directions but not in the ingredient list since I didn’t buy one. I’m sure it will be fine without but just wanted to mention it. Thanks!
Thank you for catching that Ashley! It will still be delicious, just add a little more hot sauce for more heat if you like. I hope you love it!
Love this Recipe! My kids really loved it too it’s very flavorful!!!!
So glad to hear that, thank you for sharing!
I love this recipe I made it even without using the instant pot and it’s amazing! But i’m definitely looking into purchasing one soon.