Skillet meals are a staple in our home, although I lovingly refer to them as shiz in a pan, I didn’t really think that would be appropriate for this recipe title. Plus, it doesn’t really describe just how delicious the dish is and it is delicious. This shrimp and sausage skillet can also be made in 30 minutes, which can be a lifesaver on a busy weeknight or any night of the week really.
*photos updated 9/10/19
What I love about a skillet meal is that while they are simple, you can still have tons of flavor. Each step in this recipe builds another layer of flavor. When you brown the sausage, you render some of the fat. Then you cook the onions, peppers, and garlic in that fat for even better taste. The shrimp and all the spices are what really pulls this dish together. It is so yummy and comforting.
This meal also makes for great meal prepping! It holds up well and is great paired with some cauliflower rice if you want to make it stretch out a little longer. I love to have this for lunches at work. It is filling and has a great ratio of veggies, fat and protein to keep me fueled for the day.
Used in this Recipe:
you might also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Shrimp and Sausage Skillet - Keto, Paleo, Whole 30
- 2 Tbls Avocado Oil or oil of choice
- 1 lb Smoked Sausage sliced
- 1 lb Shrimp raw, peeled, deveined,
- 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper sliced
- 1/2 Yellow Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Small Zucchini sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbls Parsley chopped
- Heat 1 Tbsl oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the sliced sausage until nice and browned (2-3 minutes) then remove from pan and set aside
- Add in the remaining 1 Tbls of oil and put the shrimp in the pan, season with some salt and pepper and cook until just pink (1-2 minutes) then remove from pan and set aside
- Add the bell peppers and onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes (just until they start to soften) then add in the garlic and zucchini and cook an additional 3 minutes (stirring as needed so garlic doesn't burn)
- Add all the seasonings in (salt, paprika, oregano, and pepper flakes) and stir in the shrimp and sausage. Cook the remaining 5 minutes and remove from heat. Top with fresh parsley