This Creole Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits is a cajun classic made healthy. It is pure comfort food but Paleo, Low Carb and Whole30! Spiced shrimp, smokey bacon, and aromatic veggies go perfectly over cauliflower grits. You are sure to want this meal on repeat!
My husband says this is his new favorite dish and I can’t blame him, it is absolutely packed with flavor and feels like a truly indulgent meal. Each step of this recipe builds another layer of flavor. The whole things starts off with bacon (need I say more?) PS I get my bacon from ButcherBox and it is the absolute best and Whole30 compliant!
The grits are actually made from cauliflower! I know it sounds crazy, but it is so delicious and pairs perfectly with the creole shrimp. Using frozen cauliflower rice helps keep this recipe easy and quick. The ‘cheesy’ flavor comes from the nutritional yeast – this seasoning is widely used to get that cheese like flavor.
- Creole Seasoning – you will notice that I don’t add salt to the shrimp itself. That is because almost all creole seasoning blends contain salt already. If yours does not, be sure to add 1 tsp of salt
- Shrimp – I use raw, wild caught shrimp for the best flavor. I also leave the tails on because they add flavor too
- Grits – I use Nutpods Original in my grits as the ‘cream’. It has a nice mild flavor and cream-like texture. You can also use full-fat coconut milk.
You Might Also Like:
- Healthy Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Whole30 Creole Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Low Carb Shrimp & Sausage Skillet
- Healthy Chipotle Shrimp Burrito Bowls
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Whole30 Creole Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits
- 1 lb Raw Shrimp large, peeled & deveined
- 4 strips Bacon
- 1 1/2 Tbls Creole Seasoning
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 12 oz Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Tbls Ghee
- 1 cup Nutpods Original or coconut milk
- 1 Tbls Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbls Fresh Parsley chopped
- Using kitchen shears, cut the bacon into bite sized pieces and add to a cold cast iron skilletTurn the heat to medium and cook until bacon is crispy and fat is rendered Remove the cooked bacon with a slotted spoon and set asideDiscard all but about 1 Tbls of the bacon fat in the pan
- Keeping heat on medium, add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet with the bacon fat and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally Add the garlic and 1/2 Tbls of the creole seasoning to the pan and saute another 2 minutesRemove the veggie mixture and set aside
- Add more bacon fat or oil to the pan if needed and turn to medium/high heatAdd in the shrimp and remaining creole seasoning – cook for about 4-5 minutes while stirring occasionally Shrimp should be just pink and slightly curled Stir in the veggie mixture and bacon with the shrimp and remove from heat (you don't want to overcook the shrimp)
- Cook the cauliflower rice per the package instructions and add to food processorAdd in the ghee, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and garlic powderStart by adding in 1/2 cup of the Nutpods or coconut milk and pulse to combine Add in more of the Nutpods as needed until desired textured is reached – I like mine more on the creamy side Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed
- Serve the creole shrimp over the grits and top with fresh parsley