This Whole30 turkey bolognese has quickly become my family’s favorite way to enjoy spaghetti squash pasta. It is so easy to put together and it has so many layers of flavor. You can make it in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot!
Originally posted 11/19; updated 2/20
Whether you make this recipe in the slow cooker or Instant Pot, it is so easy! It is nice to have it cooking all day in the slow cooker so it is ready for you when you get home. But the Instant Pot is so quick, you can cook it any night of the week and still get that amazing depth of flavor.
The base of the sauce is a can of crushed tomatoes, San Marzano tomatoes are my favorite to use. I also add a can of tomato sauce (not marinara). It is the perfect combination and goes so nicely with the sautéed veggies. The carrots add just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
Most bolognese recipes call for red wine, but since this is a Whole30 recipe, I left it out. To keep that rich flavor, I use sautéed mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Every step of this recipe builds flavor and it truly is my favorite sauce now. I also don’t add in the heavy cream that most recipes have but, I love to stir in Original Nutpods, but you can also use coconut cream.
Used in this Recipe:
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Whole30 Turkey Bolognese
- 1.5 lbs Ground Turkey or ground meat of choice
- 2 slices Bacon
- 1 pint Portabello Mushrooms diced
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 2 Carrots peeled & diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tbls Balsamic Vinegar
- 28 oz Can of Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes
- 14.5 oz Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Flakes
- 3/4 cup Orginal Nutpods or coconut cream
- Heat 1 Tbls of oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook ground turkey until just cooked through and set asideCut the bacon into pieces and saute in the skillet until cooked and set aside
- Cook the onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms in the skillet with the rendered bacon fat for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat
- Add the cooked ground turkey, bacon, and cooked veggies into the slow cooker along with all of the remaining ingredients. Set to low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours
- Once timer goes off, discard bay leavesStir in Orginal Nutpods (or coconut cream) taste and add salt & pepper as neededEnjoy immedieately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 week or the freezer for up to 3 months
- Add 1 Tbls of oil to the Instant Pot and turn to saute modeCut the bacon into pieces and saute until cooked through; remove with a slotted spoon
- Then add in the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 3 minutesAdd in the ground turkey and stir in with veggies, saute until ground turkey is mostly cooked thoughStir the cooked bacon back in along with the remaining ingredients. Set to high pressure and cook for 20 minutes
- Once timer goes off, do a quick release of the steam and discard the bay leavesStir in Orginal Nutpods (or coconut cream) and taste, add salt & pepper as neededEnjoy immedieately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 week or the freezer for up to 3 months