These beautiful, juicy burgers stuffed with sweet caramelized onions are a delightful treat that the whole family will love! Top with creamy spicy garlic aioli and serve on a lettuce bun for a Whole30 and Low Carb meal.
Originally Posted: 2019; updated 05/2021
What You Need:
- Ground Beef – I get all my meat from ButcherBox
- Yellow Onions
- Avocado Oil
- Garlic Powder
Okay, let’s talk about caramelized onions. They are so easy to make, but they do take a little patience. They cook over low heat and the onions release their natural sugars to create that yummy caramel flavor that we all love. I cook them in a mix of avocado oil and ghee. If you are not doing a round of Whole30, I also love to use grass fed butter (like KerryGold). Once the onions are done caramelizing, I let them cool completely and then it is time to stuff the burgers!
Assemble Your Caramelized Onion Stuffed Burgers:
I like to keep the patties for these burgers simple. It lets the flavors of the beef and onions shine! I form 12 equal sized patties with my hands and then season them with a simple mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. I place the a little of the onion mixture in the middle of one patty and then place another patty on top of that. Using my hands, I re-form it to shape a new patty.
How to Cook Your Stuffed Burgers:
These are big ol’ burgers so you want to make sure to cook them properly. My favorite way to do this without sacrificing flavor, is by starting off in a super hot cast iron skillet. This gets a lovely crust on the outside and then they can be transferred to the oven right in the skillet to finish cooking. It works every time.
How to Serve:
We eat our caramelized onion stuffed burgers on a lettuce bun to keep them gluten free and Whole30 compliant. I always make a little spread of toppings so that the family can customize their own. My Spicy Garlic Aioli is the sauce in the picture and I always make it for our burgers. It is so easy and so delicious.
- Easy Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Italian Pasta Salad with Homemade Dressing
- Southwestern Coleslaw
- Classic Potato Salad
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Polish Cucumber Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Caramelized Onion Stuffed Burgers
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 3 Yellow Onions thinly sliced
- 2 Tbls Avocado Oil divided
- 1 Tbls Ghee
- 2 tsp Salt divided
- 1 tsp Pepper divided
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- Pre-heat the oven to 375'
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the ground beef, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp pepperMix to combine and form into 12 equal sized patties Place the formed patties onto a lined baking sheet in the fridge
- Heat 1 Tbls of the avocado oil and the ghee in a large cast iron skillet over medium low heatAdd in the onions and let cook (stirring occasionally) until slightly brown and caramelized (about 15-20 minutes) When done, turn off the heat and stir in the minced garlicRemove from pan and let cool completely
- Take the patties out of the fridge and season the outside with remaining salt & pepper, garlic powder, and paprikaPlace about 1 Tbls of the onions in the center of 6 of the patties and use the other 6 patties on topUse hands to form back into full size patties with the onions on the inside
- Add remaining avocado oil to the cast iron skillet and bring to medium/high heatOnce hot, place the burgers in the skillet and cook on each side for 4 minutesThen place the skillet in the oven to finish cookingCook to your preference. For medium rare, cook about 5 minutes in the oven. Increase time for medium and well done