Delicious sausages with onion gravy served over the best creamy cauliflower mash – lovingly known as Bangers and Mash by the British. This Whole30 Bangers & Mash is the ultimate comfort food made healthy. Rich, flavorful onion gravy poured over perfectly browned sausage and creamy low carb cauliflower mash.
The gravy only calls for five ingredients, but it is loaded with flavor! I make it in the same pan that the sausages are cooked in to keep building on that lovely flavor. The onions and garlic get sautéed in the pan and then the beef broth and tapioca starch turn it into a rich, delicious gravy.
- Sausage Drippings – these are the beautiful brown bits left at the bottom of the pan after the sausages are cooked. Sautéing the onions and garlic in those drippings creates so much flavor.
- Onions & Garlic – The base aromatics for the sauce. I like to slice the onion so you get more flavor texture in each bite.
- Beef Broth – I love to use homemade bone broth to give this recipe even more rich flavor and to keep it Whole30 compliant.
- Tapioca Starch – This is in place of the flour that the traditional recipe calls for. It helps thicken the gravy, but a little goes a long way.
You can use whatever sausages you prefer for this recipe. I like to use pork sausages because it goes so well with the onion gravy and is a little more traditional. If you are keeping this strictly Whole30, be sure to read labels for added sugars.
used in this recipe:
you might also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Whole30 Bangers & Mash
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heatCook the sausages, turning often to brown on all sides. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the sausage (mine take about 10 minutes) Once cooked through, remove from pan and set aside
- Add a little more oil or ghee to the pan if needed and add in the onions and garlic Saute for 5 minutes and add in the beef broth Mix the tapioca starch with 1 Tbls of room temp water and whisk, then add into the pan with the brothBring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, whisk while it is simmering. It should thicken fairly quickly (1-2 minutes) Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve sausages over cauliflower mash or mashed potatoes, then top with the onion gravy
*Recipe adapted from Recipe Tin Eats