I started a new job about 3 months ago and my desk mate is vegan (hey Josh!) and another co-worker sitting with us eats mostly vegetarian (hi Alexis!). She mentioned having delicious cauliflower tacos at a restaurant and she wanted me to recreate them. So these vegan cauliflower 'chorizo' tacos are dedicated to them. The best part is, they are delicious whether you are vegan or not, and they are coming just in time for Cinco de Mayo!
I grew up in Arizona, so I am very familiar with the flavor of chorizo and I wasn't sure if I could make it happen with the cauliflower, but it worked wonderfully. The dish has that beautiful kick of spice and heat that you expect from chorizo. Texture is an important part too, so I added spiced crispy potatoes to the mixture and it was just what it needed. I even made a believer out of my husband with these tacos!
We used gluten free white corn tortillas, but you could also use Siete tortillas to keep this Paleo. I always warm up my tortillas and my favorite way to do this is in a dry cast iron skillet. All you have to do is turn it to medium heat and add the tortillas directly onto the skillet. Flip them after 20-30 seconds until nicely browned and warmed through. You can also do this over a low flame on a gas stove if you have one.
Toppings are an essential part to every taco, and you can load it up with whatever you want. I used fresh jalapeño, cilantro, avocado, tomato and red onion. Shredded lettuce or cabbage, sliced radishes, and jicama would all be great too! Oh and don't forget the squeeze of fresh lime to go over the top. It really brightens up the dish. Serve it alongside a fresh margarita or mocktail and you are golden.
Used in This Recipe:
More Recipes You Will Love:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Vegan Cauliflower 'Chorizo' Tacos
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil
- 1.5 cup Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Russet Potato peeled and diced small
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Yellow Onion diced
- 1.5 Tbls Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Coriander
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp Cayenne
- 8 Corn Tortillas small
- 2 Jalapeños sliced (topping)
- 1 Tomato sliced (topping)
- 2 Limes cut into wedges (topping)
- 2 Tbls Cilantro (topping)
- 2 Tbls Red Onion (topping)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add in the potatoes once the oil is hot. Let them get golden and crispy (about 5 -7minutes) and then reduce heat to medium and add in the onion and garlic (cook 1 minute)
- Add in the cauliflower rice and all of the seasonings and cook until the cauliflower rice has released some steam and gets nice and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside. Season with a little more salt if needed
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and place the tortillas (1-3 at a time) in the dry pan, flipping the every 20 seconds or so, until slightly browned and warmed through
- Serve the cauliflower and potato mixture in the warmed tortillas and top with desired toppings