I LOVE a good pot roast. It’s the ultimate comfort food, but I really do not enjoy mushy veggies. I have found my favorite method for tender fall-apart beef with perfect crispy and caramelized veggies. Oh, and did I mention the easy and flavorful gravy to drench it all in? I know, I’m drooling too.
Listen, I am the (self-proclaimed) Queen of one-pot meals, however, sometimes an extra pan is worth it. So this pot roast meal requires two pans (gasp!) I know, I know but trust me on this one. When you taste the crispy potatoes and sweet caramelized carrots, you will be a believer. But, just in case, there are also instructions for doing it all in the IP in the recipe notes.
For the roast, I use my Instant Pot. It is so easy and just infuses the roast with so much flavor. While the pot roast is cooking in there, I put the potatoes and carrots on a sheet pan to get the BEST flavor and texture. I know this is an extra step, but it is a super simple one that delivers the best result. I use baby red potatoes or petite golds and leave the skin on to get a crispy, salty bite. The carrots get so sweet and caramelized but most importantly, they don’t get mushy. Listen, this is my preferred way, but you can absolutely put the potatoes and carrots in the pot too. Just do me a favor and do it towards the end of the cooking time.
Don’t worry, I didn’t forget about the gravy! It’s very easy to make and you do it right in the Instant Pot. Once you take the pot roast out to shred, you add a tapioca mixture into the leftover liquid and bring it to a boil (using saute mode). Let it thicken and viola, you’ve got a gravy to pour over your already delicious meal!*NOTE– I use Tapioca Flour or Arrowroot Flour to thicken sauces/gravy for my Whole 30 recipes. You can also use cornstarch to keep it gluten free, but not Paleo/Whole 30
Used in This Recipe:
More Recipes You Will Love:
Perfect Pot Roast with Veggies and Gravy
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil
- 1 Beef Chuck Roast 2-3 lbs
- 2 cups Broth I use Bonafide Provisions Beef Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 Yellow Onion sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Carrots peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 lbs Baby Red Potatoes or petite golds
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Room Temperature Water
- 2 Tbls Tapioca Flour
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and add in the oil. Cut the roast into 3-4 large sections. Season with salt and pepper and brown on all sides. Add in the broth, rosemary, oregano, bay leaves, garlic and onion and put the lid on
- Make sure steam valve is closed. Turn Instant Pot to pressure cook and set time for 60 minutes
- Once the roast is done, let the Instant Pot manual release for 10 minutes, then quick release. Remove roast from the liquid to shred (should be very tender) Also remove the bay leaves and discard
- While the roast is in the IP. Heat oven to 425' and place veggies on a sheet pan. Coat them with oil and salt and pepper. Cook for 25-30 minutes tossing halfway through
- Mix the water and tapioca flour in a small bowl and add to the remaining liquid in the Instant Pot (with beef removed) whisk together and turn to saute mode. Bring to a boil and whisk again. It will thicken after a few minutes (2-5). Turn Instant Pot off and transfer gravy to glass measuring cup
*This post contains affiliate links that help keep The Bettered Blondie up and running. When you make a purchase using one of these links, I make a small commission. It does not add any additional cost to you.