I have multiple traditional chili recipes on the blog, but I wanted to make a kid friendly version too. This sweet potato chili has all the flavors you love in a chili, but without the heat. The sweet potato is a great way to sneak in some veggies but also to keep it light and healthy. Of course my husband and I add fresh jalapeños and hot sauce to kick it up, but it is delicious either way!
I love to use a combination of ground beef and ground pork for this recipe because I love the flavor so much. But the great part about this sweet potato chili is that you can use whatever ground meat you want. Bison is another great option, but you can also use ground chicken or turkey. All of those alternatives are leaner and have less fat, so you might need to add a little more avocado oil and seasoning to make sure the flavor is spot on.
Our family loves to eat a big bowl of this chili as-is, but you can also serve over rice or cauliflower rice, with a side of gluten free cornbread or even over hot dogs! It makes such great leftovers because the flavor gets even better overtime. I actually love to make a double batch and freeze half so we have a quick meal when we need it.
used in this recipe:
you might also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or oil of choice
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Red Bell Peppers seeded & diced
- 2 Sweet Potatoes peeled & cubed (1 large or 2 small)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbls Chili Powder
- 1 28 oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1.5 cups Beef Broth
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add in the ground beef & ground pork and saute until mostly cooked through
- Add in the onion, garlic, bell pepper and sweet potato. Cook for 5 minutes
- Add in the seasonings and stir to combine, then pour in the tomatoes and beef broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer until potaotes are tender (about 15 -20 minutes)
- Serve with fresh avocado, cilantro, green onion and jalapeno for those who want some heat