These Green Chile burgers are packed with the beautiful flavors of the southwest that I grew up with. Perfectly seasoned burgers get topped with hatch green chiles and a spicy garlic aioli. You will want these burgers in your recipe book, they are sure to be a family favorite!
*Originally Posted November 2018; Updated August 2020
One of the best ways to keep your burgers nice and juicy but also loaded with flavor is to cook some aromatics and add them into the meat mixture. For this recipe, I cooked down some onion, jalapeño, garlic and green chiles. Once they are cooled they are added to the ground beef along with a blend of spices to get mixed straight into each patty.
Tips For a Juicy Burger:
- Don’t over-mix the meat mixture – just enough to incorporate the ingredients and then form into patties
- Adding in the aromatics (as stated above) which are cooked in ghee (or butter) add both fat and flavor – key for a juicy burger!
- Use ground beef or chuck with higher fat content
- Cook in a cast iron skillet over high heat and only flip once
- For the best burger, I prefer a little pink in the middle (but that is just my opinion and preference) – you do you!
For another added flavor bomb, we add my Spicy Garlic Aioli! We actually make and add this delicious sauce to every burger or sandwich we make lol. It is so easy and only calls for a few ingredients. Get the recipe HERE.
*To keep these amazing Green Chile burgers Paleo, Keto and Whole30, use a lettuce bun instead of a regular bun!
Sides For Your Burger:
- Easy Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Classic Potato Salad
- Southwest Coleslaw
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Green Chile Burgers
- 2 Tbls Ghee
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Jalapeno seeded & diced
- 1 cup Green Chiles chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 lbs Ground Beef or chuck (higher fat content)
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium/low heat and melt the ghee Add in the onion, jalapeno, garlic and 1/2 cup of the green chiles Cook for about 5 minutes until onions are tender and translucent – put mixture in a bowl and set aside to cool
- Add the ground beef (or chuck) into a large mixing bowl along with the spices (salt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika and pepper) and then add in the cooled onion and chile mixture Mix enough just to combine the ingredients and form into patties (should make 6 large patties)
- Carefully wipe out the cast iron skillet and add in the avocado oil – set to high heat Once the pan is nice and hot – add in 2-3 patties (don't over-crowd the pan) cook for 4 minutes a side only flipping once (cook longer for no pink in the middle) Cook in batches until all the patties are cooked (adding in a little more oil as needed)
- Once the patties are done top with remaining green chiles and spicy garlic aioli*