I love breakfast sandwiches and I thought I wouldn’t be able to have them anymore when I eliminated gluten and dairy. But I discovered that homemade breakfast sausage on sweet potato buns with a perfectly cooked egg and sliced avocado was even better than the ones I remembered!
I bake both the sweet potato rounds and sausage patties in the oven to make things super easy. For the ‘bun’ I find a larger, round sweet potato and peel it, then slice into rounds. You can leave the skin on too, just make sure to scrub it clean and dry it before you slice it. The rounds go onto a lined baking sheet and I spray them with avocado oil spray and season with a little salt and pepper.
You can buy pre-made sausage patties for this, but it can be hard to find ones that are Whole30 compliant. I like to make mine homemade whether I am doing a round or not because I can season exactly how I like it. I use plain ground pork and add my favorite spices, it gets mixed in a large bowl and then I form into patties. The patties go on another lined baking sheet to bake in the oven.
I wanted to make the eggs like a fast food breakfast sandwich, so I used these super cute ring molds! You can also just make a regular fried egg or even spray a mason jar lid with oil as a homemade ring mold. I topped mine with a thin slice of avocado, but you can get creative. I love to add a little dollop of my Spicy Garlic Aioli to make it a little saucy.
used in this recipe:
you might also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Whole30 Sausage & Egg Breakfast Sandwiches
- 1 Sweet Potato large
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sage
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Avocado
- Preheat the oven to 425' and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Peel a large, round sweet potato and slice into rounds. Line on one of the baking sheets and spray with avocado oil spray, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until tender but not too soft
- In a large bowl, add the ground pork and the seasonings. Use hands to mix together and then form into 6 patties. Place patties on the second lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then broil for 3-5 minutes to brown the outside (should be completely cooked through)
- Heat avocado oil over medium heat in a non-stick skillet and cook the eggs in a round mold until egg whites are set and yolk is just cooked
- Layer the sandwiches with a sweet potato bun, sausage patty, egg, slice of avocado and top with another sweet potato bun