Pulled pork is one of the best foods, don’t you agree? It is so juicy, tender and full of flavor. Normally you would need to cook it low and slow for hours to achieve this perfection. But not with the Instant Pot! You can have the most beautiful pulled pork in less than an hour, but you would never know the difference.
You can definitely put a whole pork shoulder (butt) in the Instant Pot, but I find that it is much easier to work with when it is in large pieces instead. I cut it into equal sized pieces and trim the excess fat. Then I season all sides liberally with my homemade seasoning blend.
The next step is to brown the meat in the Instant Pot. I add avocado oil (or olive oil) to the bottom of the pot and turn it to ‘saute’ mode. One it has heated up enough, I brown the meat in batches to get a nice even crust on the outside. This step helps seal in the juices, making for more tender and flavorful pork. Once all the meat has been browned, it all goes back into the IP. Chicken broth and apple cider vinegar are added and then it’s time to cook!
After the timer goes off, I let the pressure cooker slow release for 10 minutes to help the meat retain it’s flavorful juices. I then quick release and use a slotted spoon to scoop the meat onto a large plate. I discard the liquid that is left in the pot. Using two forks, I shred (pull) the pork. I then put it back into the Instant Pot and add the BBQ sauce! I love to use my homemade Sweet & Tangy Paleo BBQ Sauce or my favorite store-bought Tessemae’s. To keep this Keto, I use my favorite Sugar Free Sauce.
Used in this Recipe:
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- 1 3lb Pork Shoulder boneless
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbls Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups BBQ Sauce
- Trim the excess fat off of the pork and cut into large equal sized pieces
- Blend the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and onion powder in a bowl and then use it to season the pork
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and add in the oil. Brown all of the pork pieces in batches. Once they are all browned, put all the pork back into the Instant Pot and add in the broth and apple cider vinegar
- Put the lid on and seal the steam valve. Hit the 'manual' button and set time to 45 minutes. Once timer goes off, let it slow release for 10 minutes, then quick release. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the pork onto a large plate. Discard the liquid
- Use two forks to shred the pork and add it back into the Instant Pot, then add the BBQ sauce and stir to combine