This gluten free french toast casserole is the perfect breakfast or brunch dish for the holidays. It is a great way to feed a group of people the most delicious breakfast. The custard is so creamy and decadent and the crunchy streusel topping just really puts it over the top!
*originally published 6/18, updated 12/19
I use our favorite gluten free bread from Canyon Bakehouse for this dish. It has the perfect texture and absorbs all that gorgeous custard without getting soggy. The custard is made with eggs and full fat coconut milk (it does not have a strong coconut flavor once baked). To sweeten it, I use maple syrup, it is not overwhelmingly sweet and has great flavor.
The streusel topping is my favorite part. It adds so much incredible texture and flavor. I feel like it just pulls the entire dish together and it is super easy to make. Once it is baked and cooled, we love to top our french toast casserole with fruit and coconut whipped topping. You could also drizzle with more maple syrup.
More Recipes You Will Love:
Save to Pinterest!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Cinnamon French Toast Bake
French Toast Bake
- Preheat oven to 350' and cut the bread up into cubes
- Grease a 14x9 oval casserole dish (or 9x13 rectangle) with ghee or avocado oil spray and lay the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish
- In a bowl, whisk the coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined. Pour mixture over the bread and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Make sure all the bread is coated with the custard mixture
- While the bread is absorbing the custard mixture, you can prepare the streuselAdd all the streusel ingredients into a small bowl and use hands to mix and press together
- After the bread has had time to absorb the custard, you can add the topping all over the casserole. Then cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- After the 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake an additional 30 minutes
- Let casserole cool before serving
- Fresh Fruit
- Whipped Cream
- Maple Syrup