I know that I have mentioned this before, but my daughter is a soup fanatic. She especially loves tomato basil soup. One of the best compliments that she has ever given me is that this tasted better than her favorite store-bought brand. Boom! Mic drop.
I get all mushy when I talk about Abby because she is truly my biggest fan. She loves my food and she loves my photos and always tells me how proud she is of me. Blogging has been harder than I anticipated at times and when I feel like giving up, I think of her. She pushes me to be better and to keep reaching for my dreams. Okay okay, onto the soup 🙂
This soup gets so much flavor from the pancetta (you could also use bacon) it really just gives it that little extra boost. I also love that it is so easy to make. I use my Immersion Blender to blend it up right in the pot! If you don’t have an Immersion Blender, I highly recommend getting one. They are inexpensive and I use it for so many things (blending boosted coffee, soups, homemade mayo, pesto etc).
Homemade Seasoned Croutons:
For the croutons in this recipe, I used gluten free english muffins for a sturdier bread. I cubed them up and tossed them in oil, salt, pepper, and dried rosemary and baked them on a Sheet Pan until nice and crispy on the outside, but still chewy on the inside.
(to keep the recipe Whole 30, leave off the croutons)
Used in This Recipe:
More Soup Recipes You Will Love:
Tomato Basil Soup
- 5 oz Pancetta
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tbls Tomato Paste
- 28 oz Whole Canned Tomatoes
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tbls Fresh Basil
- 2 cups Cubed Gluten Free Bread*
- 2 Tbls Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- Heat soup pot over medium/high heat and cook the pancetta until crispy and remove from the pan
- Add in the oil and reduce heat to medium, add in the carrots and onion and cook for 3-5 minutes (until onions are slightly translucent)
- Add in the garlic and tomato paste and cook (while stirring) for 2 minutes
- Pour in the broth and the can of whole & peeled tomatoes (including liquid) add in the bay leaf and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer
- Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes then remove the bay leaf and turn off the heat. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot (can also use a food processor or blender in batches)
- Once soup is pureed, stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with crispy pancetta and croutons
- Preheat oven to 425'
- Place bread on a sheet pan and toss with the oil and seasonings. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Tossing halfway through
*This post contains affiliate links that help keep The Bettered Blondie up and running. When you make a purchase using one of these links, I make a small commission. It does not add any additional cost to you. Thank you for your continued love and support!