My family and I all love to make hot chocolate during the holidays and watch Christmas movies. But I can’t have full sugar treats (after weight loss surgery) so I wanted to make a drink that I could enjoy with them. This sugar free hot chocolate is so delicious and decadent, you won’t even know the difference.
You can easily customize this recipe to your preference and lifestyle. I used Fairlife milk because it has 13g of protein per serving, which is great because I am always trying to get extra protein in. You can use your milk of choice, including dairy free, almond milk would be wonderful too.
In order to sweeten this recipe, I use monk fruit sweetener. In my personal opinion, it has the best flavor without any aftertaste. You can find it in pretty much any grocery store in the baking aisle or specialty diet section. Stevia or erythritol can be used as well, but be careful with other sweeteners, they can be way more concentrated.
This recipe truly is so simple to make, you just heat and whisk it all in a small saucepan. Like I mentioned above, it is also easy to customize or change up the flavors. I gave some ideas below…
Change it up:
- try adding cinnamon for a Mexican hot chocolate inspired flavor
- use peppermint extract instead of vanilla for a peppermint hot chocolate
- top with your favorite sugar free chocolate (I love Lily’s)
- add in a shot of espresso for a mocha flavor
PS: these gorgeous mugs are from Amazon, they come in a set with the cute golden spoons.
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Sugar Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups 2 % Milk Fairlife
- 3 Tbls Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tbls Monk Fruit Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Sugar Free Whipped Cream
- 2 squares Sugar Free Chocolate
- Add ingredients to a small saucepan (except toppings), turn heat to med/lowWhisk to combine, let mixture completely heat through but do not boil or you will scald the milk
- Remove from heat and pour into mugs, top with whipped cream and chocolate square