My absolute favorite part about the Instant Pot is that you can cook an entire meal from start to finish in one pot. This Whole30 chicken & veggies with gravy is so delicious and comforting, a perfect Sunday dinner. The chicken is juicy and the veggies are perfectly cooked, then you get to pour a beautiful gravy all over it.
To start this recipe, I season the chicken breasts and use the saute function to brown both sides of the chicken. Once that is done, I set the chicken aside and add in the carrots and assorted potatoes with the broth. I place the metal trivet (comes with the Instant Pot) over the veggies and set the browned chicken breasts on top.
I add in some lemon and thyme for a fantastic boost of flavor. This all gets cooked on high for 5 minutes. Yep FIVE MINUTES. There are a few reasons for this, it takes time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure and you let it sit for another 6 minutes before releasing the pressure. This keeps the chicken from getting dry and overcooked and the veggies getting too soft and mushy.
Once the chicken and veggies are done cooking, you remove them from the Instant Pot with a slotted spoon, leaving that flavorful broth in the bottom. This will turn into a gorgeous gravy to pour all over the dish. I make a slurry of 1 Tbls room temp water mixed with 1 Tbls tapioca starch. Then I turn on the saute function and whisk the slurry into the broth. It will come to a light boil, it will begin to thicken as you whisk. I like to stir in a little ghee in at the end to make it truly decadent.
The recipe is 4 servings. I had two giant chicken breasts, so that was 4 servings for us. But you could also put in 4 regular sized chicken breasts. Everything else would stay the same.
used in this recipe:
you might also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken & Veggies
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil
- 4 Chicken Breasts or 2 Large
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 cups Baby Potatoes assorted; halved
- 1 cup Carrots peeled & cut into 1" chunks
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Lemon halved
- 1 Tbls Tapioca Starch
- 1 Tbls Ghee
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and add in the oil. While it is heating up, season the chicken with the salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder on both sidesOnce the oil is hot, brown the chicken for 2 minutes on both sides and set aside. Turn saute mode off
- Add the broth, carrots, potatoes and garlic into the bottom of the potPlace a sprig of thyme over the veggies and then place the trivet in the pot
- Set the browned chicken breasts on top of the trivet with remaining thyme sprig and halved lemonClose the lid, move steam valve to 'seal' and set to high pressure for 5 minutes
- Once timer goes off, hit cancel button and let sit for 6 minutes, then do a manual release of the steamUse a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and veggies ( I put them on a large platter) take out the trivet and discard the thyme sprigs and lemon
- In a small bowl mix 1 Tbls of the tapioca starch with 1 Tbls room temperature water and stir into the liquid left in the Instant PotTurn to saute mode, the liquid will being to lightly boil. It should thicken to a gravy consistency, turn saute mode off and stir in gheeRemove from pot and use to pour over the chicken and veggies