Paleo, Whole 30, GF, DF
Breakfast skillets are actually a dish that we eat for any meal of the day. They are so easy and have protein, starch, veggies and healthy fat all in one pan. This Tex Mex breakfast skillet is one of our favorites, it has so much flavor.
To keep this dish Whole 30 compliant, make sure that you check the label on your bacon and ham. It is a lot easier to find compliant bacon these days, Applegate and Natural Ranchers have some. If you can’t find ham that you like, you can also use a compliant sausage.
Make this dish your own by using the meat and veggies that you have in the fridge and pantry. You could use sausage, kale, squash etc. I love to make a dish like this when I am trying to clean out the fridge before I go grocery shopping.
Used in this Recipe:
*This post contains affiliate links that help keep The Bettered Blondie up and running. When you make a purchase using one of these links, I make a small commission. It does not add any additional cost to you.
Tex Mex Breakfast Skillet
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup Ham cubed
- 1 large Sweet Potato peeled and cubed
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 Tbls Broth or water
- 2 cups Fresh Spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Avocado sliced for topping
- 2 Tbls Cilantro chopped for topping
- 1 Tbls Green Onions chopped for topping
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until done and remove from pan
- Remove all but 1 Tbls of the bacon fat and add in the cubed ham. Cook until slightly caramelized (about 3-5 minutes) and then remove from pan
- Add in the sweet potato, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper and seasonings and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Pour in the broth and cover (5-7 minutes) to continue cooking the sweet potatoes and then stir in the spinach, make 4 wells in the mixture and crack an egg in each well
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes covered or until eggs are cooked to desired consistency
- Top with cilantro, avocado and green onions. I also mixed a little hot sauce and mayo to make a sauce for the top