Spring is in the air and my body is craving all the veggies! There were so many beautiful fresh vegetables at the store when I went and I knew I wanted to make a giant veggie loaded pasta dish. This meal is so easy to throw together and is packed with the bright and fresh flavors of spring.
One of my favorite parts about this pasta recipe is that you can truly customize it to your liking. These are the dishes that are perfect for when you have veggies that need to be used in the fridge. You can keep this completely vegetarian by omitting the chicken sausage and adding chickpeas for some protein too! Here are my favorite veggies to use for a meal like this…
- Yellow Squash
- Bell Peppers
- Red Onion
- Green Beans
The options are endless!
The most important thing to remember when making a dish like this is knowing when to add the veggies. For example broccoli and carrots are going to take longer to cook than zucchini and asparagus. I also brown the sausage in the pan first and then set that aside. Then I start with the vegetables that take longer to cook, adding in the other vegetables as I go along. The real flavor boosters are the lemon, garlic and basil. They really bring the whole meal to life.
used in this recipe:
you might also like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Penne Pasta with Veggies & Chicken Sausage
- 1 box Penne Pasta we use gluten free
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil
- 4 links Chicken Sausage (we use Aidells) sliced into rounds
- 1 crown Broccoli chopped
- 1 Carrot peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 1 Red Bell Pepper seeded & sliced
- 1 Zucchini sliced
- 1 Yellow Squash sliced
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Asparagus chopped
- 1/4 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Red Onion sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Tbls Fresh Basil chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions and set aside
- Add avocado oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the chicken sausage until cooked through and set asideAdd a litte more oil if needed and then add in the carrots, bell peppers, broccoli and red onion to the pan. Saute over medium heat until the veggies start to get just tender (3-5 minutes)Then add in the zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes Stir in the pasta, cooked sausage and squeeze the lemon over the dish. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper (I like to use red pepper flakes for a tiny bit of heat) to tasteTop with fresh basil and enjoy!