Sweet Potato and Apple Sausage Breakfast Skillet
This Sweet Potato and Apple Sausage Breakfast Skillet is the perfect healthy and egg-free breakfast. It is my go-to when I want to meal prep a delicious and nutritious breakfast. You are sure to love this sweet and savory combo!
*Originally posted 08/2019; updated 12/2020
What You Need:
- Chicken Apple Sausage – My favorite Whole30 one is from Aidells, but Sam’s Club has a compliant option as well.
- Sweet Potato
- Green Apple – I use Granny Smith because it has some tartness to it, it’s not too sweet.
- Lemon – The pop of acidity really brings it all together.
Let’s Make Breakfast:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and brown the sliced sausage, then remove from pan.
- Add in the sweet potato, salt and onion and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to get a little color on the sweet potato and it should be just starting to get tender.
- Then add in the diced green apple and spinach. Continue to sauté until spinach is wilted and potatoes are tender. Stir in the cooked sausage and lemon juice.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
You Might Also Like:
- Whole30 Steak Breakfast Hash
- Bacon Breakfast Skillet with Ranch Home Fries
- Whole30 Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sheet Pan Meal
- Whole30 Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwiches
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Sweet Potato and Apple Sausage Breakfast Skillet
This Sweet Potato and Apple Sausage Breakfast Skillet is the perfect healthy and egg-free breakfast.
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or oil of choice
- 4 links Chicken Apple Sausage sliced
- 1 Sweet Potato peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup Onion diced
- 1 Green Apple diced
- 2 cups Spinach fresh
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Lemon
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and brown the sliced sausage, then remove from pan
- Add in the sweet potato, salt and onion and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionallyYou want to get a little color on the sweet potato and it should be just starting to get tender
- Then add in the diced green apple and spinach. Continue to sauté until spinach is wilted and potatoes are tender
- Stir in the cooked sausage and lemon juiceTaste for seasoning and serve
Calories: 290kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 15gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 1059mgPotassium: 375mgFiber: 4gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 9747IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 42mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @thebetteredblondie
Are the macros for one serving how big is one serving ?
Could this be frozen and reheated in a skillet?
This was SO good! I substituted the spinach for kale, and added half a lemon instead of a whole one. Finally, healthy can also mean tasty 😋!
Loved that this was quick, easy and healthy! I ate it for breakfast and dinner, and the egg on top was just as good!
Absolutely delicious! I did a fried egg on top. Definitely will be making this again👍👍
This was so yummy! I made it for dinner by serving it over rice with a fried egg on top. So good!
I was going to try this for dinner too. Great idea to serve with rice!
So good! This is the first time trying chicken sausage and boy was it tasty. I was a little hesitant about trying this recipe because of that but I’m so glad I did. I’m on an AIP diet so this will definitely be on my rotation for breakfast meal prep.
THis looks os good!
This was delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe 🙂
So glad you enjoyed it Maria!
Tried this a yr ago for a family weekend breakfast. Everyone loved it. My sister and daughter have egg allergies so this was a great option for everyone. With or without eggs it is wonderful. Was asked to bring it again this yr.. Thank you.
I was getting sick of eggs and overnight oats for breakfast meal preps so I whipped this up last week for the entire week. Loved it so much, I made it again this week.
Love to hear this, thank you for sharing Lindsey!
Do you have any recommendations on how to heat up for meal prep?
Hi Cheyenne, I usually just heat it up in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, but you can also warm it back up in a skillet
Delicious. I am not a sweet potato fan but try to incorporate them where I can because they are healthy. That being said, I love a good breakfast skillet. I did make a few alterations. My potatoes were very small so I used two, I had half of a red bell pepper that needed using so in it went with the onion, and I added some sage, thyme and rosemary. It turned out so well that I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration.
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed it and I LOVE when you make a recipe your own by using what is in your fridge. That is how I always do it too. Thank you for sharing!
Amazing!! This will be on heavy rotation at my house.
Thank you for sharing, I’m so glad that you liked it!