This is one of my favorite meals. It is so easy and the whole family loves it. Butterflied chicken cooks much more evenly. You get the best of both worlds with this cooking method, juicy chicken and crispy skin. Add in beautifully roasted asparagus and you have a perfect healthy and delicious meal.
How to Butterfly a Chicken
- Rinse and dry your whole chicken and place it on a large cutting board breast side down
- Find the backbone of the bird (right in the middle) and use sharp poultry shears to cut along either side of the backbone, removing it entirely
- Flip the chicken over and press down firmly to flatten it out
I love to make my own spice mixture for this recipe. It is so easy and most likely you already the spices you need. Sometimes I even make a larger batch so that I can store some to have on hand. This is my favorite mixture for chicken..
Once the chicken is butterflied, I coat the entire bird with ghee. This adds to the flavor, but also helps the chicken get nice and brown and crispy. Ghee is a great option because it also has a high smoke point and won’t burn in the oven. After I coat the chicken with ghee, I coat the entire thing with the spice mixture. You want to season it liberally, so that you get flavor in every bite.
I let the chicken roast until almost fully cooked through before I add the asparagus. I like my asparagus to still have a little bite to it. I simply toss it with some avocado oil, salt and pepper and top with lemon. It is so delicious and the perfect side to the roasted chicken.
Used in this Recipe:
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Spiced Butterflied Chicken with Asparagus
- 1 Whole Chicken 2-3lbs (butterflied)
- 2 Tbls Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbls Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tbls Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Tbls Avocado Oil or olive oil
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425'
- Blend all the seasoning in a small bowl. Place the butterflied chicken* on a cutting board and use hands to rub the chicken with the ghee. Then season the chicken with the spice mixture
- Place the chicken on the lined baking sheet and put in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 30 minutes and take out of the oven
- Trim the ends of the asparagus (about 1in) and toss with oil, season with a little salt and pepper and lay on the baking sheet next to the chicken place lemon slices over the asparagus. Put the baking sheet back in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through