Paleo BBQ Chicken Drummies
My daughter is the wing/drumette queen. She is pretty much the only kid I know that does not like pizza, so we always order her a side of BBQ wings. Since I am working towards switching our family to a mostly paleo diet, I wanted to make sure to recreate some of the family favorites.
I made my husband and daughter try this sauce after every little tweak and I finally hit the sweet and smoky notes that I was going for (after the 30th alteration). And I was so happy because my daughter loved them! I honestly feel like I am more proud of this recipe than any other because of how much she approved #momwin.
The great thing about this recipe is that you have leftover BBQ sauce for the week! I made this sauce a little on the thicker side because I wanted to make sure it really stuck to the wings, but if you like yours a little thinner you can add a little bit of hot water while blending it. Just make sure that you only add a little at a time because you can always add more but you can’t take it out! Oh and by the way, this sauce is not just paleo, it’s also Whole 30 compliant!
*This post contains affiliate links that help keep The Bettered Blondie up and running. When you make a purchase using one of these links, I make a small commission. It does not add any additional cost to you.
Paleo BBQ Drummies
- 2.5 lbs Chicken Drumettes or wings
- 6 oz can Tomato Paste
- 8 Pitted Medjool Dates
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 3 Tbls Dijon Mustard
- 1.5 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tbls Chili Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375'
- Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet bake for 45 min
- Meanwhile boil a cup of water, then put pitted dates into a bowl and cover with boiling water for 5 minutes
- Remove dates from the water and puree in a food processor or blender
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth
- Pour into a saucepan and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- After the 45 minutes baste one side of the chicken with 1/2 cup of the sauce and bake another 10 minutes
- Flip the chicken and baste with another 1/2 cup of the sauce and bake another 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through
- Store the remaining sauce in an airtight container or jar