I have been using drugstore makeup since I was 15 years old and I love it. It’s cheap, it works well and I don’t have to think very hard about it. I NEVER thought I would switch over to safer makeup because it all can seem so extreme. I felt like I was constantly being criticized or condemned for using ‘toxic’ products. I felt that way until I met some incredible women who changed my opinion. The truth is that we are more aware now than ever about the lack of regulation in US beauty products (it’s truly appalling). And It is becoming very hard to ignore. With all of my health and hormone issues, I began to change how I ate and how I fed my family. But I realized that I also needed to change what I put on my body.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
My husband and I just recently became debt free (we paid off $72,000, post about it coming soon) and believe me, we didn’t buy all grass-fed, organic, blessed by God himself products. We did what we had to do to make it work. We care about what and how we eat, so we sacrificed in other areas so that I could spend more on groceries. And now, I am slowly switching to better beauty & skincare products. I am sharing this because it is okay to go slow. I will never push you to buy products. That is not my heart. With that being said, I am truly excited by Beauty Counter and the products they offer. I didn’t think that I would be able to love safe makeup this much, but I do! And I know you will too.
My step by step safer makeup routine
- Tint Skin Hydrating Foundation (I use shade ‘Linen’) I was surprised at how well the coverage was with this foundation, but it really works well yet feels so light and silky. To apply, I use a foundation brush and a blender sponge.
- Touchup Skin Concealer Pen (I use shade ‘Light’) I apply this under my eyes and on any spots that I want to cover (after foundation). I blend it in with the blender sponge.
- Mattifying Powder I use this to set the foundation and concealer. You don’t need a lot and can apply throughout the day if your skin gets oily.
- Satin Powder Blush (I use shade ‘Nectar’) This goes on the line of my cheekbones.
- Luminous Powder Highlighter (I use shade ‘Halo’) I love this highlighter and I apply it on my cheeks, nose and forehead.
- Velvet Eyeshadow Palette ( I use the ‘Romantic Palette’) I have used every color in this palette and I love them all. For the look in the pictures, I used ‘Cameo’ as a base, ‘Moto’ to emphasize my eyeliner and ‘Brûlée’ as the main color.
- Color Outline Eye Pencil (I use shade ‘Black’) I like the pencil liner, but I also am excited to try the liquid liner (I’ll keep you posted)
- Color Define Brow Pencil (I use shade ‘Light’) I don’t use this everyday, but it is great for filling in the brows
- Mascara – I do not like the Beauty Counter mascara. I have been using Maybelline Lash Sensational for years and that habit is going to be hard to break. I have been told to try Honest mascara for a safer option, so I’ll update you when I try it.
- Color Intense Lipstick (I use shade ‘Backstage’) This lipstick is amazing. It is so hydrating and the color lasts really well. The darker shade is (9 to 5) and I love it for date night
- Lip Gloss (I use shade ‘Bare Shimmer’) This lip gloss is my new obsession, I want it in every shade!
There are a few options for you if you want to try these products…
- You can sign up as a Band of Beauty Member for $29 (annually) and you get free shipping on qualifying orders, 10% product credit on applicable orders, a welcome gift if you spend $50+ on products when you enroll and member exclusive offers. (When you sign up, select Sara Kadlec as your consultant)
- You can also sign up as a consultant. There are a few reasons to do this. First, you get 25% off product! This is the best option if you are planning to switch out your makeup and skincare like I am doing. It costs $98 to sign up and you get an incredible welcome kit. The second reason to sign up as a consultant is to make money and get me as your mentor (+ bonuses, commissions, trips etc) You can use it as a side hustle for some extra spending money or even build up to earning a full time income! (When you sign up, select Sara Kadlec as your Mentor)
I am happy to help you decide which is best for you. If you are sticking to a strict budget but want to try products, as I stated above, I understand. I can help you see what fits best in your budget and figure out how to get you started. Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also join my Safer Beauty & Lifestyle Facebook Group