My daughter and I love baking together for special occasions. It is always such a fun time for us. Ever since we discovered that she is sensitive to dairy, we have tried to re-create some of her favorites. These dairy and gluten free chocolate cupcakes did not disappoint. We also made a ‘cream cheese’ frosting and it was perfect!
I have always been upfront that baking is not my strong-suit, which is why I am obsessed with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 flour. It makes my life so much easier and I don’t have to buy a million ingredients. There are other gluten free 1 for 1 flours, but I have not used them. I have used this flour for many recipes and it has never let me down. It is also very affordable, which is important to me! You can get it on Amazon but I have also found it in Walmart, Safeway and Sprouts.
We chose to add in some chocolate chips/chunks to make these cupcakes even more decadent and it was definitely the right choice. Our favorite allergen friendly brand is Enjoy Life. I also made a coconut ‘buttermilk’ to help give the cupcake a nice texture. All you have to do is combine full fat coconut milk and some lemon juice, that’s it!
For the ‘cream cheese’ frosting you have a couple of options. We like to use an organic lactose free brand. This is not dairy free, but since my daughter does not have an allergy (only sensitive to the lactose in dairy) it works for her. There are also multiple dairy free cream cheese options on the market these days. If you are not concerned with staying dairy free, you can always use regular cream cheese. Just make sure you read the recipe ahead of time, because there are a few extra steps.
Used in This Recipe:
More Recipes You Will Love:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free 1 to 1 Flour Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs large
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil melted
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk full fat
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Gluten and Dairy Free Chocolate Chips Enjoy Life
- Preheat the oven to 350' and line your baking tins with cupcake liners. Spray the liners with some coconut or avocado oil spray
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use a whisk to mix it together
- In a small bowl combine the coconut milk and lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes, this makes a 'buttermilk'
- In a separate bowl, add in granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth and well combined and add to the dry ingredients. Fold together using a rubber spatula
- Then add in half of the coconut 'buttermilk' and fold together, then add in the remaining half and mix until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chips
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full with the batter and bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Cream Cheese Frosting
- *Make sure the cream cheese and coconut cream are both chilled.Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl and use a hand mixer to beat until smooth and creamy
- Let the frosting chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before piping onto the cupcakes