Hey Loves, I hope you are all doing well. I am excited to finally be sharing my 6 month post op update. I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (weight loss surgery) April 28th, 2022 and I am so happy that I did. If you missed my first few updates, you can catch up HERE.
Weight and Measurements:
- Starting Weight: 309.3 Current Weight: 234
- Neck: Starting 14.5in Current 13.5in
- Chest: Starting 55.5in Current 46in
- Upper Arm: Starting 14.5in Current 11.5in
- Wrist: Starting 6.5in Current 6in
- Waist: Starting 50in Current 42in
- Hip: Starting 59.5in Current 50in
- Thigh: Starting 23.5in Current 23in
- Calf: Starting 17.5in Current 16in
- Total Pounds Lost 75.3
- Total Inches Lost 33.5
- Starting BMI 43.34 Current 34.19
Wow, I can’t believe that it has been 6 months already. It feels like it went by so fast. Having this surgery has completely changed my life in such a short amount of time. My experience overall has been incredible and I would 100% do it all over again. But there have been plenty of tough moments too.
This past month was my first bigger stall and I only lost 5 pounds the whole month, which isn’t horrible but it can feel shocking when you have been consistently losing 10-12 pounds a month previously. I have also had more intense struggles with body dysmorphia lately. I will look in the mirror and feel like I look exactly as I did at 320 pounds. It can really really mess with your mind. Looking at comparison photos is helpful but sometimes, it is just a really bad body image day.
Now that I am further into this journey, I am able to eat a little more. It can feel scary at first because you don’t have as much restriction. It is just another reminder that weight loss surgery is a tool and not a magic wand. I still have to be so mindful of what I eat and in what order. I focus on protein first, then veggies and occasionally a starch if I have room.
I am truly so proud of myself for continuing to track my food and focusing on my goals. It can be hard sometimes and I definitely have days where I struggle, but I have changed so much about my life and my eating habits. I am excited to continue to work towards my goals, I still have a decent amount of weight to lose. My current goal is 180 but I am just taking it one step at a time. I no longer strive to be skinny, I just want to be strong and healthy and I am feeling closer to that everyday.
Recent Non-Scale Victories:
- I went on a trip to Arizona to visit my mom and I did not have to ask for a seatbelt extender on the plane. That was a BIG moment for me!
- I was able to fit into size 16 jeans, it has been a long time since I could say that (like 6 years)
- I have so much more energy to play with my kids and take care of our home
- I felt comfortable wearing a cute dress for the first time in years (pictured below)