Paleo, GF, DF
Ice Cream is my favorite. It is one dessert that I will
almost always say yes to. Well last summer my husband and daughter happened to see an ice cream maker on sale and they convinced me to get it (even though we have so many kitchen gadgets). I am so glad they did because it makes it so easy to make healthy ice cream that actually tastes amazing! This chocolate cherry paleo ice cream only has 5 ingredients, yet it tastes like the real deal.
I am not a huge fan of the 'healthy' ice creams in the store, most of them contain 50,000 ingredients. Okay, that may be an exaggeration however it is so easy to make better quality stuff at home using real ingredients. I used coconut cream as the base of this paleo ice cream. You can buy a can of coconut cream or buy full fat coconut milk and skim the fat off the top. It gives it that smooth, creamy texture.
I love using fresh cherries when they are in season but you can also buy frozen cherries and thaw them out. The cherries add natural sweetness to the ice cream but I also added a touch of honey. And of course there is the chocolate chips! My favorite brand to use is Enjoy Life. They are gluten, dairy, and soy free. You could also use your favorite dark chocolate bar and cut it into chunks.
It really only takes two steps to make this ice cream. I put all of the ingredients (reserving the chocolate chips and some cherries) in the blender. Blend it all up and then pour it into the ice cream maker. Depending on what ice cream maker you get, the instructions might be a little different. I have to plan ahead a little and put the bowl in the freezer the night before. I also put the coconut cream in the fridge overnight to help the ice cream freeze faster, but you don't have to.
Used in This Recipe:
More Recipes You Will Love:
*This post contains affiliate links that help keep The Bettered Blondie up and running. When you make a purchase using one of these links, I make a small commission. It does not add any additional cost to you.
Chocolate Cherry Paleo Ice Cream
- 1 cup Coconut Milk Full Fat (chilled)
- 1.5 cups Cherries divided
- 2 Tbls Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate Chips Enjoy Life
- Put the coconut cream, honey, vanilla extract and 1 cup of the cherries in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- Pour into ice cream maker and churn per instructions
- Chop up the remaining cherries. When the ice cream begins to thicken, add in the chocolate chips and chopped cherries
- When the ice cream is done, store in the freezer in an airtight container. When ready to serve, let sit on the counter to thaw for a few minutes