When I started eating healthier, one of the meals I missed the most was creamy and comforting casseroles.This casserole is creamy and packed with some of my favorite flavors. I LOVE chicken, bacon & artichokes together. It is such a beautiful flavor combination. This is a dish that will bring those comforting flavors that you love to life.
The first step in this dish is roasting the squash to make the ‘spaghetti strands’. I just cut it in half lengthwise with a sharp knife and remove the seeds. I rub with olive oil and salt & pepper to add even more flavor. I place it face down on a lined baking sheet so that it creates steam. The squash will not be completely cooked when we pull it out of the oven, because it will cook more in the oven with the rest of the ingredients and we don’t want it mushy.
The cream sauce comes together while the squash is in the oven. It is so easy, but ends up with so much flavor! Obviously starting the sauce with bacon always helps haha. The ‘cream’ element of the sauce is coconut milk and once you add the rest of the flavors, it doesn’t taste like coconut. I also have used the original flavor of Nutpods and that works wonderfully too. To make my life easier, I buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up. This makes it a quicker meal, but also adds flavor.
Used in this Recipe:
You Might Also Like:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer.
Chicken, Bacon & Artichoke Casserole
- 1 Spaghetti Squash small-medium
- 1 Tbls Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 4 strips Bacon
- 14.5 oz Can of Coconut Milk full fat
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Flakes
- 1.5 cups Artichokes frozen, not marinated
- 2 cup Spinach fresh
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken cooked
- Pre-heat oven to 425' and line a baking sheet
- Cut the spaghetti squash legthwise and remove the seeds, rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place face down on the lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. It will be slightly undercooked (that is what we want)
- Use fork to scrape the inside of the squash to create 'spaghetti strands' and add to a large bowl with the shredded chicken
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, cut bacon into bite sized pieces and cook in the skillet until done. Reduce heat to medium/low and add in the minced garlic. Stir and let cook for 1 minute, be careful not to let it burn
- Add in the frozen artichokes and let cook for 2 minutes. Then add in the coconut milk, salt and pepper flakes. Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer until sauce begins to thicken (about 5-7 minutes) then stir in the spinach and remove from heat
- Stir the cream sauce into the squash and chicken in the bowl (add more salt and pepper if needed) and add to a casserole dish. Spread out evenly and bake at 425' for 15-20 minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving (we topped ours with ranch and LOVED it)